Trump says he will sue BBC for at least $1bn over Panorama edit

Trump says he will sue BBC for at least $1bn over Panorama edit

U.S. President Donald Trump has announced plans to initiate legal proceedings against the BBC regarding the editing of his speech by the program Panorama. The BBC had previously apologized for editing that unintentionally suggested Trump called for violent action during his January 6, 2021 speech, but they declined to provide any financial compensation.

Onboard Air Force One, Trump indicated that he may seek between $1 billion and $5 billion in damages through this lawsuit, which he intends to file next week. He also mentioned that he would discuss the matter with UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer over the weekend.

Earlier this week, Trump’s legal team had warned the BBC of a potential lawsuit unless they issued a retraction, provided an apology, and compensated him, giving the corporation a deadline of November 14 to respond. The BBC’s statement addressed the misleading impression caused by the edited content but ultimately did not meet Trump’s demands for compensation.

The controversy surrounding this issue has resulted in the resignations of BBC Director General Tim Davie and Head of News Deborah Turness. As of now, searches through public court records reveal no legal action related to the BBC has been filed by Trump. Federal and state courts in Florida, where a lawsuit is likely to be filed, are currently closed for the weekend. No cases involving the BBC have been identified in federal court databases related to Trump.

This situation continues to evolve, and further updates are expected.

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c891jp9j79do?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=rss

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top